Our “Magic Lake” is still intact right up to the beach at the Damariscotta Farm Loop. Three of us sailed it today, Friday Mar 3. Some of the magic is gone. The surface is a charitable 4-5, rough but tolerable for what may be end of season sailing. The NW wind was gusty and speeds were limited by the surface, patchy shell ice and granular thin styro foam (that seemed to sublime away by afternoon) and congealed 4 wheeler tracks. The forecast for continuing strong NW wind through Sunday and very cold Saturday is not inviting for a regatta or just fun sailing. Monday, before likely rain on Tuesday, might be the best day. The intrepid Friday sailors, Squibb, MacEwan, and Roberts are not planning to sail Saturday, maybe Sunday, (although still lots of wind), but more likely Monday, in desperation. Possibility of some rain Tuesday and warming might fix the surface, IF it gets cold again afterward. Grassy pond/reservoir, a frog pond right on Rte 17 in Union, looks good on drive by but there is no place to park anywhere near the ice.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus