Ice Report 3/27, Maine & Canada

My axe gave up chopping at 12″ on Megunticook today. The hole did not fill with water, even though the ice was not super hard. The surface is a nice uniform grey without any hazzards in view from my vantage point at the west end of the South Broads and could have been sailed today. I did test the waters on Chicky this morning, with Lloyd watching from the beach like a good parent of an errant child. By 10:00 it was forty degrees and small puddles were starting to form but the surface was still hard enough to handle the gusty NW wind with plates.

I sailed nine laps of an imaginary course, then realized how much fun it would be to actually have TWO boats, so I called Brian Lamb after checking Megunticook and he’s game for a bit of sailing tomorrow. We plan to be setting up by 8:00 in Bailey Cove. It’s plank access only in there, but I have not checked Bog Bridge for access.

Meanwhile, things are looking good for racing in New Brunswick this weekend. This from Warren Nethercote:

Bob Crinion reports hints of good ice emerging from beneath the snow on Mactaquac (Fredericton). So there is a possibility of some spring sailing this weekend, albeit constrained by family Easter commitments. If ice conditions are confirmed we will follow up with another message.

I will give an update tomorrow afternoon and possibly Friday morning, and am hoping that today’s rain followed by the forecast cold weather will give us some sailable ice.

This entry was posted in 2013 Season. Bookmark the permalink.